The Role of Impulsivity and Self-Control in Decision Making in Adolescence
Impulsivity, self-control, and decision-making capacity are no longer fully mastered during adolescence due to the influences of bio-psycho-socio-cultural factors. Thus, a low level of self-control and an increased level of impulsivity make adolescents no longer have the ability to make optimal decisions. If the proportions of these traits are reversed then adolescents can choose the optimal decision that brings the greatest benefits. The 110 adolescents were tested using the translated version of the UPPS-P Test, the Self-Control Scale on the CPI Test Card, and the Decision Ability Test in the Battery of Psychological Cognitive Aptitude Tests (BTPAC).
2. Crone E., 2016 The Adolescent Brain: Changes in Learning, Decision-making and Social Relation in the Unigue Development Period of Adolescence, Routledge
3Cyders M. A. et al.. 2007, Integration of impulsivity and positive mood to predict risky behavior: Development and validation of a measure of positive urgency. Psychological Assessment, 19(1), 107-118. doi:10.1037/1040-35184.108.40.206
5. Cyders, M. A. (2013). Impulsivity and the Sexes: Measurement and Structural Invariance of the UPPS-P Impulsive Behavior Scale. Assessment, 20(1), 86¬
97. https://doi.org/10.1177/1073191111428762 page 89
6. Dugre J.R. et al. 2019 The Psychometric Properties of a Short UPPS-P Impulsive Behavoir Scale Among Psychiatric Patients Evaluates in an Emergency Setting, Frontiers in Psychitry 10:139 https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2019.00139
7. Franken A. et al. 2015, The Role of Self-Control and Early Adolescents’ Friendships in the Development of Externalizing Behavior: The SNARE Study, Journal of Youth and Adolescence, Volume 45, Pagea 1800-1811, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10964-015-0287-z
8.Gibb R. & B.Kolb 2015, Prefrontal Cortex Development and Development of Cosnitive Fucntion, International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences Second Editions, 817-823. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-097086-8.55044-2
9.Gullo M.J. & S. Dawe 2008, Impulsivity and adolescent substance use: Rashly dismissed as „all- bad”? Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Revies, Volume 32, Issue 8, Pages 1507- 1518,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2008.06.003
10. Hamilton K.R. et al. 2019, Trait impulsivity during early adolescence predicts steepness of alcohol use escalation across adolescence, Addictive Behaviors, Volume 98, https://doi.org/10.1016/_j.addbeh.2019.06.006
11.Hofmann W. et al. 2009, Impulse and Self-Control From a Dual-Systems Perspective, Perspectives on Psychological Science, Volume 4, Issue 2, Pages 162-176, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6924.2009.01116.x
12.Holmes C. et al. 2018, Structural Home Environment Effects on Developmental Trajectories of Self-Control and Adolescent Risk Taking, Journal of Youth and Adolescence ,Volume 48, Pages 43-55 https://doi.org/10.1007/s 10964-018-0921 -7
13. Ingmar H.A. et al. 2008, Impulsivity is associated with behavioral decision-making deficits, Psychiatry Research Volume 158, Issue 2, Pages 155-163
Copyright (c) 2021 Cosmina-Marilena Manea
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The author fully assumes the content originality and the holograph signature makes him responsible in case of trial.